CAFCON OFFICIAL STATEMENT:
We, the Leadership and Staff of the CAFCON Fantasy, Gaming, and Roleplaying Convention see CAFCON as more than just a gaming convention. We are a collection of friends and family who meet, game, and party together!
We learned yesterday that one of our family, Debbie Meder, was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of cancer, Ewing's sarcoma. Due to a lengthy treatment period involving both chemotherapy and radiation therapy, the Meders will not be able to attend CAFCON 2018.
We at CAFCON extend our most sincere thoughts, prayers, and support to Debbie in her time of need.
For those who aren’t 100% familiar with Debbie, here are 3 fun facts about this awesome individual:
- She is simultaneously funny, classy, crass, and loving.
- Debbie and her husband, Anthony, donated significantly to the CAFCON Cares charity raffle (including the donation of 3 large chests filled with all sorts of awesome gaming swag).
- Debbie likes penguins. Correction: She LOVES penguins. They are her favorite animal (her power animal, in fact). Even her nickname is ‘penguin’.
As a demonstration of CAFCON’s support to our friend and family member, Debbie, we are doing the following:
- We are officially dedicating the 2018 CAFCON to Debbie.
- Our traditional dragon-logo has graciously agreed to step out of the spotlight and give it to our NEW 2018 logo, the CAFCON PENGUIN, designed in record time by Phil Stone (our 2018 Signature Artist).
- The CAFCON Cares Charity Raffle proceeds will be divided between the Meeting Place Mission and Debbie to help with any costs associated with treatment and recovery.
- CAFCON will be selling a special Debbie button with 100% of the proceeds going to her (details coming soon).
- CAFCON will have a very special and awesome event at the convention: DEBBIEMANIA! More details to come soon.
In closing, we shall speak directly to Debbie: We are with you! Our thoughts, prayers, and support go out to you. Even though you won’t physically be at CAFCON, you’ll definitely be there in spirit!